Thursday, February 2, 2012

Teaching

My young adult literature class is apparently geared towards people who are getting certified to teach or get a major in secondary education. I did not know this going into it. Had I known I probably still would have taken the class just because my other options for upper division literature classes were fairly limited and I didn't want to take European lit. So there will be two points during this semester where I will have to prepare a lesson plan geared toward any age group I choose, and I will have fifteen minutes and then thirty minutes to do these lessons on our class. Most of the class so far has been the students teaching students how to teach students, while Professor Bishop, who I do consider to be "the man", sits and takes notes to create your grade.

This actually excites me, I see a golden opportunity. I am an expert of the half-assed and smart-ass presentation that still manages to get full credit. Since I don't necessarily plan on teaching, at least not high school or anything lower, I want to have fun with this. I want to do something snarky so to speak. Although it will appear to be a serious lesson on the outside, I want it to also reek of my sarcasm to the point that no one is really sure what to think. Bishop will know, that is for sure, the man has a lot of experience and channels sarcasm like few other professors I've seen. But it takes a smart-ass to appreciate a smart-ass. Just ask my Dad.

1 comment: