Saturday, January 21, 2012

Creative Endeavors and Demos

I've been locked up in my room the last couple days working on some of my creative endeavors, to which I think there is probably a link on the side or from my profile or something. I still don't really know how this website works.

But during my little breaks from writing I've been playing some demos for the 360 that the guy from gamestop recommended to me, which by the way, guy from gamestop, although I appreciate your concern in what games I plan on playing in the future, you're not going to convince me to pay to reserve them now when I came in to not pay for anything so save us both ten minutes next time. Anyway, these demos. Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning, Asura's Wrath, Darkness II, and El Shaddai Ascension of the Metatron (Medatron? I still haven't tried it yet) I had heard of Reckoning, but never actually read anything about it. Gamestop time waster guy made it sound like something I would be into, Elder Scrolls + Fable's Potential + Baldur's gate. I'm down. Demo? The shit. Game mechanics are like Fable but smoother and a hundred times cooler, but the class system is like Elder Scrolls, in that there really isn't one and you just kind of do whatever you want to do, it's awesome. You have your primary weapon (X) and your secondary (Y) which you just switch between as you fight for some sweet combos. I was going daggers and then a sword, plus you can just throw in magic whenever you want to and really waste some fools.

Asura's wrath is crazy but seems intriguing. You play as Asura who is some kind of six armed stone faced deity who for some reason is in a fight with another stone faced deity who has a sword. It's pretty anime styled which I'm down with. There is a lot of insanely fast punching and blocking, people are surrounded in burning energy, and for some reason there characters give each other lengthy dialogues as they fight. You pretty much just punch the shit out of each other (Oh and you're on the moon by the way.) for like ten minutes until the other dude tries to stab you in the chest at which point you both plummet to the Earth, all but two of your arms fall off, the other dude stabs you in the chest with a sword so long that it actually comes out the other side of the earth somewhere around Australia. But before the sword gets all the way to the hilt, you get one of those button pressing scene things where it looks like you're probably going to hit the guy in the face. End Demo. I don't know if I'll actually get this anytime soon just because Reckoning comes out on the 7th and then Mass Effect 3 comes out in March and I know I will be seriously involved with both of those games for a while, although now that I think about it I have no idea when Asura comes out.

And then there was Darkness II. All I can really say is this. Quad wielding guns. Not like in Bayonetta where you have two pistols and then two shotguns tied to your feet. As in your hands are holding guns, and then your darkness tendrils are also holding guns, but your darkness is still free to kill the shit out of people in the most graphic way possible and then eat their hearts, and the more violent the kill the more leveling points or whatever you want to call them you get. So for instance shooting a guy in the face is going to get you a lot less points than tossing him in the air with one tendril and impaling him against a wall with some re-bar with the other, or hitting him with a pallet to stun him and then picking up with the darkness and doing some called a wishbone, where I'm sure you can imagine what happens.

I'll probably give that last one a try tonight or tomorrow, I think it's some kind of JRPG which I'm always down for if they can keep me interested for longer than an hour or so, which lately it seems like they're having a very hard time doing. Because really how many times can a spikey haired swordsman with a troubled past save the world from some evil guy who it later turns out is just there to distract you from the really evil supernatural whatever that is the real villain of the game but you don't know that until you're already fighting it.

No comments:

Post a Comment