Sunday, January 29, 2012

On starting a family

So there's this girl Jamie I've known since I was a freshman in college.She's got these big doe eyes and a particularly banging bod, which will soon be ruined, and overall seemed to be the typical college sorority girl. Well as it turned out she's Mormon. A lot of them are Mormon but she is that special kind of Mormon girl that gives up her life to get married and start a family. You see about a year or so ago she got married, that would put her at around nineteen at the time. This was a little surprising to me, but since then I know a lot of people (mostly if not entirely Mormons) who have gotten married. What was especially stupid to me I thought, was that she also dropped out of school here. What exciting career is she leading now? She's a receptionist. A god damn receptionist. Go to college for a year and half, become a receptionist. Every girl's dream right? Not long after she tied the knot she also cut off most of her hair which when I knew her went down past her shoulders. Now she has the mommiest mom hair cut I think I've ever seen. She still looked hot, don't get me wrong, but it's like she's just following the Mormon handbook for young girls and just a little too closely. Why does getting married mean you have to suddenly change your appearance to look so damn wifey? And now she's pregnant, five weeks according to facebook (facebook is how I have slowly learned all of these things about her, it's like watching a real time Mormon time-line on my news feed) Seriously, at twenty she is married and pregnant with barely an education and your average woman's job, and is completely content with that. I'm sure she's happy, I hope she's happy considering how she could have lived her life. Even if she had just stayed with her boyfriend for another six years until she could finish college and get a real career, that would have been better to me. So I really hope she doesn't end up regretting it six years from now when she sees how her friends have all gone on to be successful business women and lady doctors and what not. I guess what really bothers me is the thought that that could have been me. It blows my mind that people my age are allowed to get married, even people who are three years younger than me. I literally cannot even begin to imagine what it would be like to be married and starting a family right now. It's what my parents did, but at least my dad had a full college education and began a legitimate career (I have no idea what Jamie's husband does, I'm not planning on stalking that deep to find out) and although my mom didn't get a college degree she at least had the sense to get one later in life, and she can tell you what a huge difference that can make when it comes to getting a job and getting a better salary. On the opposite end of the spectrum I have a friend who has been dating a girl for around three years now and although they have talked about getting married, it was only to say not until after they both graduate from SUU and more than likely not until they finish graduate school. That makes sense. I couldn't expect a woman to want to marry me if I couldn't provide for myself, and I don't know how I would feel about marrying a woman who couldn't provide for herself.

Not to mention, can you imagine not being old enough to drink alcohol at your own damn wedding?

1 comment:

  1. My boyfriend and I are actually waiting to get married so we can both drink at the engagement, bachelor/ette parties and wedding ceremony. :P

    However, no babies until we're both done with college. Seriously, why waste that much money when you can stay for even six more months and get an associate's degree. It's not that hard!

    ReplyDelete